A series that follows the path of the Siberian Children. This time we would like to introduce Tsuruga City in Fukui Prefecture, where the Siberian Children first arrived in Japan.
Tsuruga Port is also the port where Polish Jews who received visas from Chiune Sugihara (the then Consul to Lithuania) visited during World War II.
Port of Humanity Tsuruga Museum
Opened in 2008, Port of Humanity Tsuruga Museum is a museum where you can learn the history of Tsuruga Port – the histories of the Siberian Children and the Polish Jews who received visas from Chiune Sugihara and arrived at Tsuruga Port.
On November 3, the museum reopened after renovations.
It is four times larger and has more exhibits than before renovation.
Former Tsuruga Port Station Building (Tsuruga Railway Museum)
The Tsuruga Railway Museum is a recreation of the former Tsuruga Port Station building, which once played an important role as the terminal for the Asia – Europe International Express, which began operation in 1912.
After taking a connecting ship to Vladivostok, the passengers would then travel to Europe via the Trans-Siberian Railway. Through this connection to the Trans-Siberian Railway, Tsuruga became the bridge between Japan and Europe.
Founded in 702, Kehi shrine is dedicated to seven Kami. One surviving structure is the shrine’s 11-meter-tall tore gate, which was built in 1902 and which is registered as an Important Cultural Property. It is the third largest wooden torii gates.
In 1689, the Shrine was visited by the famous poet Matsuo Basho, and his visit is still commemorated with a statue and a stone monument inscribed with his haiku.